Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Here's to Mr. So-and-So.

preface: this piece was written when I was a senior in college. I included it because at the time, it was Rita's favorite piece of my writing, which was set to music, so yeah, it's a song. After I graduated, Rita had me come and open for her "open mic" night at UCLA, the good ol' Eclectic days. Of course, I was supposed to make a few bucks 'cause Rita always got her friends paid gigs. So, here's to you, Rita. RIP.

Now before you leave,
finally this chance, it's on me,
there are words that I need to speak,
but only to diffuse all of their power in meaning;

There must have been a time,
But I cannot recall,
When the love that you gave to me
Was nothing short of magical;

And those colors that you said
I brought to your life
Were like none that you'd ever known,
But that there would always be something
that you,
you would love more;

So, at dawn, I finally fall asleep,
And, I am kept awake all night in dreams;
'Cause the hardest hope to know,
is the hope that you,
you will not ever be able to let me go;

But one day, you started to prefer,
Black and White,
and you didn't need any colors in your life
'Cause you painted them yourself in all your pride;

And you taught me that magic,
Well, it's only composed of tricks,
And, that truest love and deception,
They can never coexist;

So, now before I leave,
Finally, this chance, it's on me;
And, the hardest hope that I know,
it's the hope that you will not ever
be able to let me go.


No comments:

Post a Comment